2010/02/18

Lunar New Year Festival

We call this Lunar New Year is "the Year of the Golden Tiger". Everything regarding "Tigers" are seen as auspicious stuff. We wish this Golden Tiger will bring us great wealth and good fortune. As our traditions, most people go to temples for asking Buddha and God bless us a happy, lucky and prosperous year. So that at the Lunar New Year's Day, we went some temples without exception. We saw people crowded everywhereHere one thing deserved to be mentioned, the Lunar New Year's Day was also Valentine's Day, February 14th. According to the news report, it had been fifty years since these two festivals were at the same date. So we also asked the God who unites persons in marriage for a good fate at the New Year's Day.
There are many traditions in Lunar New Year Festival. We paste new spring couplets on our house. Family reunion dinner is held on Lunar New Year's Eve. Children receive red packets from their parents and elders. People say "Gung-Shi-Fa-Tsai" (means congretulations and wealth) each other.

The second day of the Lunar New Year Festival, married daughters will return to their parents' home. As usual, my sisters' families were all back at that day. Since my mom was still in recovery from her surgery, so I had to cook some dishes for treat. Regretfully I am really not good at such housework, I can see that they must have endured my bad cooking a lot and hardly complained a word.
Today is the fifth day of this festival, is the birthday of the God of Wealth. We also have trational ceremony on worship.
All of these traditions seem to be so religious. People believe the intengible power and usually search for their peace and comforts through these ceremonies.

Due to my duties on worship as the eldest child of my family, I almost stayed home and saw videos during my leisure time. I enjoyed the slow tempos very much. I waked up without alarm rings. I ate a great deal during holidays. But I had to admit there were sometimes buzy and I felt a bit impatient.
The weather wasn't good during the holidays. It has being cold and rainy since the second day of the lunar new year. I choose to be a dweller at home. I would rather stay in the warm blanket than go outdoors.

4 則留言:

me as i am 提到...

ooh it sounds lovely! meaningful and many different celebrations going on. and i love the photos. i'm glad you got to enjoy so much relaxing time, but i'm sorry you got a bit down and had to do many chores. when it's cold and rainy out, i love to go nowhere too. lazy days are so fun~ but yes, many in a row can start to feel stifling. i hope that things have gotten better for you meanwhile.

happy lunar new year, happy year of the tiger, and happy valentine's day to you, elaine! :)

Elaine 提到...

thanks katie for your coming and reading :)
lately i indeed felt a bit stifling. i'm still trying to find a way to set myself free. maybe you ever got such experience? even everything was going well but you felt empty inside.

me as i am 提到...

hi elaine~ i have felt that way before. personally, i've found that if i listen to my heart i can eventually find out what is bothering me and what i need.

meanwhile, just breathe and take good care of yourself. be patient and gentle with yourself. eat healthy food. exercise. try to enjoy your life. spend time around kind people if you can.

that is what i do. but what works for me might not work for you.

sending you happy wishes for your peaceful mind~~~

Elaine 提到...

hi katie! sorry for my late reply, just saw your kind words and good advise.
yes, i'm trying to spend more time on staying with people around, to attend more invitations by friends, to feel how real my life is.
thanks for your sharing and sending my best wish to you~